By definition to “Control” means to have the power to influence or direct people’s behavior or the course of events. Authority, power, sway, dominance, rule, sovereignty, management, and direction are just some synonyms of the word “control”.
We can easily slip into the trap of trying to control everything. Because of past hurts we can go through life trying to control everything as a way of protecting ourselves. We micro-mange, direct, and sway those in our lives. The need to control can cause a sense of panic when we are faced with something that we can’t control. This can become a very unhealthy place to be. If the need to be in control is controlling you it is time to make a change. God can help you but he needs you to be willing to let go.
My hair is a funny reminder that I am not the one in charge. I have short hair and sometimes I wake up with it going EVERYWHERE. It is my flock of seagulls’ hair. If you were a product of the 80’s you will know what I mean. On those days my hair is a simple reminder that I can’t control everything. It has a mind of its own at times and there is nothing I can do about it. Life can be the same. No matter how hard we try to control it, we can’t.
God is the only one who is in control at all times. He is the only constant that we can count on. When I let go of things I had no control over and gave them to God I began living in victory and not panic. The same can be true for you.
Now take a closer look at some of the synonyms of “Control”
- Authority: God is in CONTROL there is no authority higher than God.
- Power: God is in CONTROL all power belongs to Him. Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, Psalm 62:11 NIV
- Dominance: God is in CONTROL and he has dominance over all nations and all kingdoms. He has got your life handled also.
- Rule: God is in CONTROL He will rule and reign forever.
- Sovereignty: God is sovereign. “If you were to look up the word “sovereign” in the dictionary, you would find words and phrases like superior, greatest, supreme in power and authority, ruler and, independent of all others in its definition. But the way I like to explain God’s sovereignty best is simply to say, “God is in CONTROL.” There is absolutely nothing that happens in the universe that is outside of God’s influence and authority. As King of kings and Lord of lords, God has no limitations” -Chip Ingram, Walk Thru the Bible
I hope that these synonyms of the word control help you to see that God is ultimately in control. To keep trying to control what you can’t is just going to waste a lot of your time. If you can’t control your hair on a bad hair day what makes you think you can control life better than God himself.
Originally written for Living Better 50 magazine.